Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Buying Books

I buy a lot of books. When I say this I don't mean 5 or 6 a month, I mean 10-20 books a month. Obviously buying all these books full price would lead to me being broke very quickly, so I have come up with strategies to buy all the books I want for a cheap price. Of course living in Belgium, but only reading English books, comes with added difficulties but I think I manage pretty well. So here is the list of places where I buy books!


  1. Charity shops: All the charity shops that I've been to sell books for a ridiculously cheap price. At least half of the books on my bookshelf are charity shop books, and all of them are sold for below £2 ( €2.32 | $2.60). Of course prices vary depending on the charity that is selling the books, but you will never have to buy a book full price.
  2. Second Hand Bookshop: These shops are basically exactly the same as charity shops, but they make a living off of selling books. I rarely go into second-hand bookshops and when I do it tends to be looking for old annuals. They can sometimes charge more than the original price, especially if the book is a collectable, but the prices are very reasonable for a normal book.
  3. Supermarkets: Okay, this may sound strange but supermarkets are great places to go and get cheap, hardback, new-releases. Living in England my go to shop for this was Tesco because they always seemed to have hard-covers for £5 (€5.80 |$6.50), even new-releases! I am yet to find a similar shop in Belgium, but I know that Target or Walmart is a good place to head to in America.
  4. Online Websites: The most obvious website, and the one everyone knows, is Amazon. However most of their books are full price and you have to pay the cost of shipping, which can end up costing much more than you're willing to pay. Two great alternatives are Wordery and Book Depository as they ship worldwide for free, and they usually have discounts on a large selection of books. I used both websites multiple times, and have literally nothing bad to say about them.
  5. And of course, Bookshops: Some of my fondest memories are sitting in bookshops, stroking the spines, and picking out a brand new book. Of all the places I go this is the most expensive (obviously!), but they usually have great deals going on where you can get several books for a cheaper price. In England my favourite places to go were Waterstones and WHSmith and in Belgium I tend to go to Fnac (because they have quite a big English section!). I'm not sure where to go in America, but from what I've heard Barnes & Nobles is a good place to pick up books. 

So there you are; all the places I go and shop for books. Of course I am always looking for new and exciting places to buy books, so if you have any suggestions please leave them down below! Also I would love to know where you buy the majority of your books! For me I think it is a tie between Wordery and various charity shops.

And until next time, keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment