Saturday, June 3, 2017

May Book Haul!

This month I managed to collect a surprising amount of books. Living in Belgium but only reading English means I've learned to grab every single opportunity I have to buy more English books. So when a book fair comes to town you know I'm going to be at the front of the queue buying all the books. In total this month I gathered 21 books (I know, I'm awful) but I don't regret anything.



Cogheart by Peter Bunzl



Lily’s life is in mortal peril. Her father is missing and now silver-eyed men stalk her through the shadows. What could they want from her?

With her friends—Robert, the clock maker's son, and Malkin, her mechanical fox—Lily is plunged into a murky and menacing world. Too soon Lily realises that those she holds dear may be the very ones to break her heart.


I'm a sucker for books set in Victorian England, so I just had to pick this up. Also the inside is beautiful, with  drawings and sketches all over the pages.





Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Lara Jean is having the best senior year a girl could ever hope for. She is head over heels in love with her boyfriend, Peter; her dad’s finally getting remarried to their next door neighbour, Ms. Rothschild; and Margot’s coming home for the summer just in time for the wedding. But change is looming on the horizon. When your heart and your head are saying two different things, which one should you listen to?

Obviously I had to get this book. If you saw my last book haul you'll see I'm a little bit obsessed with Jenny Han at the moment, so I needed to get her new release. I'm so excited to read this, but because I'm so backed up with required reading and things like that I probably won't get to it for a while.



Little Bones by Janette Jenkins

It's 1899. London. A young girl is abandoned by her feckless family and finds lodging and work assisting a doctor. But Jane Stretch is no ordinary girl, and Mr. Swift is no ordinary doctor.

I told you I'm a sucker for Victorian England. And blue books. And pretty covers.








The Night Rainbow by Claire King


During one hot summer, five-year-old Pea and her sister Margot play alone in the meadow behind their house, in Southern France. Her mother is too sad to take care of them; she left her happiness in the hospital, along with the baby. Pea's father has died in an accident and Maman, burdened by her double grief, has retreated to a place where Pea cannot reach her - although she tries desperately to do so.

Then Pea meets Claude, a man who loves the meadow as she does and who always has time to play. Pea believes that she and Margot have found a friend, and maybe even a new papa. But why do the villagers view Claude with suspicion? And what secret is he keeping in his strange, empty house?




This book sounds creepy and exciting and I love it!




One of us by Jeannie Waudby

When K narrowly survives a bomb attack, she agrees to go undercover to spy on the Brotherhood, the radical young group held responsible, and whom she’s determined to bring to justice. But whilst living among them, soon even enemies become real people. And when she falls in love, K discovers that some things are not black and white ...
What's right – and who's wrong? Someone's always to blame.

I've been really into researching cults recently (I know, strange hobby), and this book sounds like it has a freaky cult in it. I've loved other books I've read about cults, so maybe this one will be just as good...



The Bloodline Cipher by Stephen Cole
Jonah and the rest of the elite team of teenage thieves have been sent on a mission by Coldhardt to retrieve an ancient grimoire. He believes it to be a magical book of the law of the dead. But when they go in to get it, they discover another team of thieves has beaten them to it.

Okay, confession. This is the third book in the Thieves Like Us trilogy. I've owned the first book for two years, but have never started reading. I don't even own the second book. But I guess it's good to be prepared... Right?






Plague by Michael Grant 
It's been eight months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.
Despite the simmering unrest left behind by so many battles, power struggles, and angry divides, there is a momentary calm in Perdido Beach.
But enemies in the FAYZ don't just fade away and a highly contagious, fatal illness spreads at an alarming rate. Sinister, predatory insects terrorise Perdido Beach. And Sam, Astrid, Diana, and Caine are plagued by a growing doubt that they'll escape - or even survive - life in the FAYZ. With so much turmoil surrounding them, what desperate choices will they make when it comes to saving themselves and those they love?

I love the gone series, and am desperately trying to collect all the books. So voila!





Knightley and Sons by Rohan Gavin

The once highly in-demand detective Alan Knightley has just woken up after an unexplained incident kept him asleep for four years. While he was out cold, his son, Darkus, took it upon himself to read of all his dad's old cases, and he's learned a lot about the art of detection. It's a good thing too—because suddenly the duo find themselves caught up in a crazy conspiracy that involves a group of villainous masterminds (who keep appearing and then vanishing).

There seems to be a black and red theme in this book haul, which I didn't mean to happen. I was attracted to this book because it had the same feeling as Confessions of a Murder Suspect which I loved.




The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

Honestly, if  you're a book lover you already know all about the Mortal Instruments series. I actually already have a set of these books, but I when I found the books with the pretty spines I had to buy them (especially as they weren't full price!)











The Plantagenet and Tudor series by Philippa Gregory

Jacquetta, daughter of the Count of Luxembourg and kinswoman to half the royalty of Europe, was married to the great Englishman John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI. Widowed at the age of 19, she took the extraordinary risk of marrying a gentleman of her household for love, and then carved out a new life for herself.

The synopsis is for The Lady of Rivers, the first book in the series, although I'm not sure if it matters what order you read it in. I brought books 1,2 and 4 this month when I went on a bit of a historical fiction frenzy.


Angels at the Table by Debbie Macomber

Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy know that an angel’s work is never done, especially during a time as wondrous as New Year’s Eve. With an apprentice angel, Will, under their wings, they descend upon Times Square in New York City eager to join in the festivities. And when Will spies two lonely strangers in the crowd, he decides midnight is the perfect time to lend a heavenly helping hand.    

Although it's quite some time until Christmas comes around you need to have a couple of cosy books on your bookshelf for when you are missing the holiday season. This book sounds like the perfect cosy book for a rainy day!




Fire Spell by Laura Amy Schlitz

Clara disappears on her birthday. Exceptionally wealthy and exceptionally lonely, she requested that a puppeteer and his two orphan helpers stage a spellbinding show for her in the vast empty house. But then the curtains close and darkness falls...

This was definitely a cover buy. If the cover was anything else I wouldn't have picked up this. However I did then read the synopsis, and I was intrigued. It sounds like an interesting premise, and although it sounds like a middle-grad it doesn't have the usual feel of a middle-grad.


The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people's minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

I know, I'm super late on this band wagon. I have wanted to read this book for ages, but whenever I have a chance to read it there is always a new shiny book. When I saw this book for cheap I decided to pick it up so I have to read it.




The Sirens of Surrentum by Caroline Lawrence 

It's June A.D. 80. Everyone is thinking about love at the lavish Villa Limona, where friends Flavia, Jonathan, Lupus, and Nubia have come to visit for the summer. But their host suspects that there's a poisoner among the house guests, and the friends are asked to investigate. Faced with many distractions, including the arrival of Flavia's betrothed, can they set a trap to catch the culprit?

Who else remembers this book series from their childhood? This was probably the first major book series that I read, spending hours and hours reading all 17 books. Being a sentimental person I decided to start collecting the series...


The Charioteer of Delphi by Caroline Lawrence 

September AD 80. Flavia and her friends go to Rome to celebrate the Festival of Jupiter at Senator Cornix's town house. They befriend the young charioteer Scopas and quickly find themselves embroiled in a campaign to sabotage one of the rival racing factions.

I also bought this book to add to my growing collection. The only problem is this one is hardback and my other ones are paperback.





The Shopkeeper's Daughter by Lily Baxter

June 1944. Eighteen-year-old Ginnie Travis works in her father's furniture shop in the suburbs of East London when the continued bombing raids and her sister Shirley's untimely pregnancy force the two girls to go and stay with their aunt in Shropshire. With the family left almost penniless and Shirley and her child to provide for, Ginnie is responsible for them all. And when the shop comes under threat, she is even more determined to make it succeed and build a life for herself and her family.

A World War Two story that will be both uplifting and harrowing? Yes please!





If you've read any of these books please let me know your opinions in the comments! Also I'd love to know which books you are interested in from this list.

And until next time, keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment