Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Dreaded Reading Slump

The reading slump is a thing that no reader want to fall in to, but it is inevitable. You read the most amazing book of your life, a book you've been waiting to read for a while, and now it's over. How can you read another book after this one? Surely there is no book better than the one you've just read. Trust me I understand: I've hit this stage right now. I haven't read a book in 3 weeks (*gasp*), so I took to the internet to help me get through the slump. I now present my list of tips on how to get through a reading slump:

  1. Re-read an old favourite. It will help to re-boot your love for reading if you read a book you know you are going to love.
  2. Read reviews of the book you are trying to read. Sometimes hearing another person talking about their love for a book is what you need to get motivated again.
  3. Try reading a different genre or style of book. By getting out of your comfort zone you may find a new book that excites you. It may also help you to get out of a certain genre that you could have got bored of.
  4. Listen to an audio book whilst doing over things. If you are good at multitasking this may be a good tip for you. Although you're not physically reading the book you are getting through it whilst doing other things that may interest you more.
  5. If you don't have any audio books, watch some booktubers. Although this tip doesn't help you read a new book, it may help you get back into reading books. Listening to people who dedicate a huge chunk of their lives to books definitely helps me get through a reading slump so it might help you!
  6. Set a reading goal for each day. If you have to read a book for school during this slump setting a goal is always a good idea. By doing this you can split the book up into smaller, more manageable chunks that may not seem so scary.
  7. If all else fails, take a break! Everyone needs a break from reading sometimes, so if you really can't get through your current book PUT IT DOWN! You won't get through it if you aren't enjoying it, so doing something else will give you a well earned break. Take a walk, play some video games, just do something else. It will help trust me.
So these are my tips for getting out of a reading slump, and I hope they helped a little bit. If you've tried any of the tips, or you have tips of your own, tell me down in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment