Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

I love Gilmore Girls; I watched it for the first time last summer and have just started re-watching it. One of my favourite scenes is the 24 hour dance marathon and I've dreamt about taking part in it ever since I first saw it. So when I heard of this challenge I was so pumped to take part. It means I can take part in the 24 hour staying awake part, without having to do any exercise. I've also decided to wear a pretty dress, just like the Gilmore girls!


Now, onto the actual challenge. It is basically a challenge where you stay awake for a full 24 hours reading books. There is an entire website dedicated to it, where you can sign up to the challenge, read updates which will encourage you and find helpful tips to survive (link here). There is also a website to work out what time you have to start depending on the country you are in (link here).

The books I will be reading are all on my TBR and all fairly short. They are:

  1. Four by Veronica Roth (I know, I know!)
  2. Scarlett by Cathy Cassidy
  3. The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
  4. A random collection of Doctor Who comic books
I've only picked three books, because I know that I won't be able to read any more than this in the 24 hours. It also means that I have time to eat, watch Gilmore Girls and maybe even fall asleep! And the comic books will provide a nice break from the longer novels.

I also have a care package ready and waiting for when the challenge begins. It has been slowly collecting random stuff that I think will help me get through the 24 hours, so I'm going to share everything in it with you. The things in here may seem a bit random, but they all have a purpose, I promise. Now to open it up!



  1. My pyjama blanket: A few years ago my mum made me a quilt out of old pyjamas and I love it. It is fleecy and cosy, and a perfect reading companion.
  2. 3 bottles of water: One of the worst things to happen when you're staying up late is feeling dehydrated. It makes me feel so much worse, so this way I have no excuse.
  3. My books: The most obvious thing on this list, my books are sitting there calling out for me to read them.
  4. A selection of music: Even if I don't take in the lyrics of the music, having it on will keep me awake and motivate me to carry on reading.
  5. Finally,  my computer: Throughout the readathon I will have Gilmore Girls or Friends on in the background, to act as a break from all the reading I will be doing. I will also be doing updates here and on my Twitter ( @MusicalBooks) so keep an eye out for those.

I'm super excited to be taking part in this readathon; I've been counting down the days this month! I really hope some of you will take part as well, and then we can motivate each other in the comments. Let me know if you are taking part, and what books you are reading, down below. I will be there cheering you on, whilst trying not to crash from exhaustion!




No comments:

Post a Comment