Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Books that definitely deserve more hype

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I LOVED with Fewer than 2,000 Ratings on Goodreads

I never check Goodreads before I start reading a book. Some people find that weird because they can't imagine reading without looking at all the different stats and reviews that come along with the book, but for it ruins the experience of reading. And even after I've read a book, I'll only look at my friends' reviews of the book before moving on to the next novel.

When I read this topic my first thought was 'there are books with less than 2000 ratings?' And then I thought 'how on earth am I going to find out which books have less than 2000 ratings?' Luckily, thanks to the power of Google, I figured out how to look at the number of ratings a book has. So here is a list of my top 7 books that definitely deserve more hype.

1- More of Me by Kathryn Evans
(Goodreads ratings: 633)

To be totally honest, I wouldn't have read this book if it hadn't have been sent to me but I'm glad I did. Before this book I hadn't read many sci-fi novels, so this was a perfect transition from contemporaries into the sci-fi. Although I don't read many sci-fis even now, I will always appreciate this book, and the genre it introduced me to.

2- Countless by Karen Gregory
(Goodreads ratings: 477)

This book really hit home for me. It was a beautifully representative book about eating disorders and how hard it is to recover from them. It is a shame that Countless didn't get more hype because I think it was gave great representation for what it is like to live with an eating disorder and would be able to teach people more about this mental illness.

3- Forbidden Friends by Annie-Marie Conway
(Goodreads ratings: 401)

This book was cheesy to the next level, but sometimes you need that in your life. I did enjoy Butterfly Summer a lot more than this one, but the cheesiness of this book makes me want to re-read it over and over again. There are a few twists and turns in this book which caught me by surprise, but it was mostly just a fun book to read when you're feeling down.

4- The Children Who Lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham
(Goodreads ratings: 190)

This is my mum's favourite book and I loved it too when I read it a couple of years ago. It is basically a sweeter and more innocent version of Lord of the Flies; a novelisation of everyone's dream to stake out on their own. It is a sweet family novel that shows the power of sibling ties, and makes you question what you would do in their situation.

5- The Yellow Room
(Goodreads ratings: 166)

This book was incredibly dark novel about obsession, trust and revenge. There was so much about this book that was totally unexpected that it completely strayed away from the traditional YA story line which I was expecting. I barely saw this book anywhere though, so I'm not too surprised that it has so few ratings.

6- The Inventors by Alexander Gordon Smith
(Goodreads ratings: 150)

I love this book. I remember reading it about six years ago when the author came to my school to talk about how cool his books were. Admittedly, I like his other book series a lot more than this one, but there is something quite sentimental for me about this book. I really wish he'd been able to publish this book worldwide, rather than just the UK, because it is a gripping children's book.

7- The Sign of One by Eugene Lambert 
(Goodreads ratings: 142)

I was so shocked to see that this book had so few ratings, especially as it is one of my favourite books of all time. Sci-fi, mystery, action and romance all tied up into one book, literally anyone could pick this up and enjoy. Of all the books on this list, this is the one I would most highly recommend.

Which books do you love that need more hype? Are any of them on this list?
Let me know in the comments below!

And until next time, keep reading!

1 comment:

  1. I ordered my list in the same way. I thought that was cool.

    And, yeah, I've read major spoilers on Goodreads for some books myself. I really wish everyone there would warn folks ahead of time if they're going to share big plot twists.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete