Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Books I loved but haven't mentioned since | Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed but Rarely Talk About

Doing this post made me realise that I really don't hype up my favourite books very much after I've read them. The only time I talk about books is when people ask me for recommendations, so it is actually quite rare that I will talk about books I love (which makes me quite sad). I would love to talk about my favs more, so maybe I'll do a post about them in the future. Who knows?

Today I'll share some of the books that I constantly think about but very rarely talk about. They're not necessarily my favourite books, but they are books that have stuck with me over the years.

Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow
Book Depository | Goodreads

This book acts as the definition of hard-hitting contemporary and definitely caused me to fall into a bit of a reading slump afterwards. The story was beautiful and it has some of the best mental health representation that I have ever read.

The List by Siobhan Vivian

I read this with my friend and we both agreed that it is one of the weirdest but best books that we've ever read. It tackles the problems high schoolers face when considering body positivity in a very different way than most YA books do, so it was refreshing to get this new take. Be warned: I think there are 7 different POVs so prepare for that!

Faceless by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

This might be one of my favourite books of all time but I very rarely talk about. It's another one about loving yourself and coming to terms with your appearance, but it also focuses on learning about who you are after a tragic event. I read this book 3 years ago and the story has stuck with me.

The Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant

I've always gone on record (that sounds very official) saying that Michael Grant is my favourite author of all time but that is usually in relation to the Gone series (which is my favourite series of all time). However, I also love this book by him and it holds a special place in my heart because I got to attend a launch party for it and meet Michael Grant in person.

How to be Happy by Eva Woods

I'll put my hands up and admit that this book is a little cliche, following a woman who has a cancer and a woman who doesn't have any fun in life. Despite the cliches, it was a beautiful story and left me feeling so emotional by the end. I love stories that deal with mortality but also looks at how people can change their own narrative, so this book was perfect for me.

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James

I went into this book not expecting to enjoy it at all, as I'm not really a fan of sci-fi and I'd read Lauren James's other books and not enjoyed them. Surprisingly, I flew through this book (reading it in one day) and it has stuck as one of my favourites of all time. It has even motivated me to read more sci-fi over the last few years (although I think I've only actually read 3-4 more since then)!

The Enemy by Charlie Higson

This series might be tied with the Gone series as my favourite series of all time, although that might be linked to the fact that I read the first four books in the Austrian mountains (which was one of the best holidays I've ever had). This book is the first in the series but I think it's my favourite regardless because it sets the tone for the series and drew me in enough to read the other 6 (!) books.

One Day by David Nicholls

Not only is the film a brilliant adaptation of this novel but the story itself is absolutely wonderful. This is one of those cute romances that shocks you no matter how many times you reread it and will forever hold a special place in my heart. It was one of the first adult books I ever read but I don't think I've ever mentioned it, despite my love for the book.

Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index by Julie Israel

Admittedly I only picked up this book because of its beautiful cover but the story itself is also very beautiful. It tackles grief and acceptance in kind of a similar way to Faceless

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

Maybe not the best read for right now but when I read this book I fell in love with the idea of a travelling Shakespeare group that was just trying to get by about a virus had destroyed the planet. In general I've loved all of Mandel's novels

What books have you loved recently? Have you read any of the books on my list?
Let me know in the comments below (and leave a link to your TTT)!

And until next time, keep reading!

7 comments:

  1. I love sci-fi so if The Loneliest Girl worked for someone who doesn't enjoy the genre I really must add it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I've only heard of One Day and Station Eleven--and I agree with your comment about not the best for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read Station Eleven sometime. Good list.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list! I also love the Gone series, although I haven't read any of his other books. I read the first book in the Higson series and really liked it, but I never continued with it for some reason. I need to. Thanks for the reminder!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The List was a quirky book -- not my favorite of Vivian's, but still enjoyable. I am so glad she went with third person POV instead of first!

    I haven't heard of Faceless but the Sheinmel sisters do such quality work in general, I'm almost willing to sign on regardless of subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One Day was freaking traumatic in the end. I get why you haven't really talked about it since. I haven't either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve seen that Lauren James book on a few lists today. That probably means I should pick it up!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete