Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Is the book better than the movie? | Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Bought Because...

So fun fact about me as a reader: I don't really get affected by the hype of the bookish community. Sure, I have got into a couple of series because it was all I heard about but for the most part I just pick up books when I feel like it. I'm not saying I don't read hyped books (because trust me, my shelves have a lot of YA dystopian on them), it's just that I usually only pick up books when I feel like it.

However...I do get hugely affected by the movies and TV shows I watch, namely the ones that are adaptations. I could not be interested in a book at all but as soon as I see the movie version it is all I can think about. I'm not one of those people who has to read the book before I watch the movie, but I do like to do both and then compare. Which has led to some questionable purchases and a lot of unread books.

Today I thought I'd share the top 10 books that I have because I liked the movie and  wanted to see if the book was just as good. And, just to shame myself, I'm going to say if I've read it yet... This may reflect badly on me.

1- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday

I watched this film last year and really loved it, so when I saw the book in one of my local charity shops I jumped at the opportunity to buy it and give it a read. That was maybe 7 months ago and I still haven't read it but I promise I'll get to it (some day)! 

2- The Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

I think a lot of English children can tell you that this film was part of their childhood, whether it was because they loved it or because so many primary schools put it on for the children to watch when it is raining during lunchtime. Since watching the film I have managed to collect three copies of not only this book but the entire series

3- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

When this book was being turned into a film I snatched up a copy of it from my local charity shop so I could read it before watching the film and I can proudly say that I neither read the book nor watched the film. I actually think my brother has stolen this from me so I might have to go get it back from him and read it.

4- Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Abertalli

Another book that I picked up because I wanted to read it before the film came out, but I've actually read this one! I really enjoyed this book, although I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to YA contemporary, but for some reason I never got around to watching the film. Honestly, I don't understand my brain sometimes.

5- The DUFF by Kody Kieplinger

This is the first one on my list where I've experienced both the book and the movie so I can actually comment on both! Personally I enjoyed the movie a lot more than the book but that could be because the book was written by an 18 year old, which always spells trouble. Fortunately I still enjoy the movie so I still have a cheesy movie to watch when I'm ill.

6- The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

So this one is kind of weird because I bought the book because of the movie but not because I enjoyed it... Basically I saw the movie everywhere and thought it sounded kind of interesting, but I wasn't super amped to watch. Then...I discovered the book and decided I wanted to read it. 
Have I? No. Am I ashamed of that? No.
(also I really want to read it at the moment but it's at my place in Amsterdam and I've had to go home until all the isolation stuff blows over so I might not be able to read it for months :/ )

7- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky

Another one where I've read the book and watched the film but this time I couldn't tell you which one I enjoyed more. I can't even remember which one I experienced first but I enjoyed both of them so much, and I think they've shaped me as a human. One of my favs, would recommend, next!

8-  Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

I watched the film as a child and really enjoyed it so when my school library was clearing out their books I snatched it up to read it. However I have not read this book and I recently unhauled it because I don't think I'm ever going to get to it. Maybe I'll read it to my kids in the future, but for now there are other books I want to read, and I'm happy just living with the film version.

9- The Princess Bride by William Goldman

A classic film that is part of so many people's childhoods, I have a gorgeous edition of this book that I'm actually really excited to read the book. Most people know the story of this book but I think it would be interesting to see how different the book is from the film that we know and love.

10- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Yes, I am that basic person who loved this musical so bought the book even though it is over 1000 pages. Not only have I seen the film, I've also watched the BBC TV series, read the manga and listened to the musical version about 100 times. And I am proud to announce that I'm currently about 16 pages into the book so we're getting there! (pray for me)

Which books have you read because of the film? Are any of them on my list?
Let me know in the comments below (and leave a link to your TTT)!

And until next time, keep reading!

4 comments:

  1. I generally don't get affected by book community hype either. You're not alone there. :)

    I've read the book version of The Princess Bride. I loved it just as much as the film and hope you will, too.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book Princess Bride is quite different and more detailed. There's a lot left out in the movie, I think it was for the better to simplify the story. I moved heaven and earth to see the Broadway production when it came to town. Worth every penny. Love the music. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/04/ttt-040720.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I am definitely a person who picks up books on the basis of their adaptation and it's really cool to see your thoughts. For once, I'm actually familiar with everything on a TTT list, even if I haven't read or watched them all. Great choices here.

    I read The Miseducation of Cameron Post prior to the movie existing, and I thought it was really good, but I have no plans to see the film because I'm so tired of Chloe Grace Moretz being in everything. The bummer I experienced upon learning someone was FINALLY going to adapt a realistic YA novel I'd already read, only for her to turn up, was too real.

    That said, I definitely read Inkheart after and because of seeing the movie, and I loved them both equally -- despite not normally being a big fantasy fan.

    Congrats on being 16 pages into Les Mis! As a fellow insta-fan of the musical -- who did not know there was a BBC TV series! and now wants that too -- I harbored the idea of reading it for about five years and then decided, nah. Especially after I found "A Little in Love" in the YA section and decided that's all the book version I need. I do recommend that one if you are an Eponine fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I'm one of those people who HAS to read the book first because for me, in almost every case, the book is better! As for READY PLAYER ONE, I DNF'd the book after a couple of chapters because it dragged and dragged for me. Not surprisingly, I felt the same way about the movie. It was on offer on a flight I took, so I could easily quit watching it and move on to something else instead.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete