Thursday, June 22, 2017

Reading slumps for days

I have so much free time. Too much free time. I have nothing to do at all. I'll have nothing to do for the next 3-ish months. Loads of time for reading right?

Nope. Literally the day after I finished my exams I lost the will to read. Never has a Harry Potter book seemed so long, but I'm only on page 5 after almost four days of reading Order of the Phoenix.

I've been reading hundreds of guides (not an exaggeration) on how to break the reading slump, and even tried following my own tips. Even after doing all this I was still stuck in this dreaded reading slump with no hope of escape. 

And then I realised something. It doesn't matter. I can be in a reading slump but the world doesn't have to end. I very rarely get stuck in a slump, so when I do it means I've been reading too much and I need to take a break for a while.  

I've stopped forcing myself to read books and have decided to other bookish things. I've started writing a story, I've spent hours and hours on Goodreads and I've sat in my local library just to be surrounded by books.

Another thing I've done is discover new Booktubers and book bloggers. Even though I'm not reading any books I love watching other people enthuse about books. They have the nicest bookshelves, met all the famous authors and seem to have all the most exciting ARCs sent to their doorsteps every month. I'm living vicariously through them until my reading slump disappears.

How do you deal with your reading slumps? Do you even get reading slumps? I'd love to hear your opinions in the comments below.

And until next time, keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment