Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The most beautiful bookish places I know

There are some beautiful book havens in the world and obviously they are all miles away from me. This week is sort of like a bucket list for me, of all the places I want to go when I have enough time (and money). The majority of these placces are in Europe so maybe I'll plan an epic road trip and visit them all one summer.


Libreria Acqua Alta in Venice, Italy

My family actually went here last year, but I was still in school so I didn't get to go. The idea of a floating bookshop is magical and the decorations are all nautical so it looks like you are inside a boat. My favourite picture from this shop is the one of the boat that is full of books of all shapes and sizes, which is a book lovers dream (or at least my dream). Sometimes stray cats wander in off the streets so you might get to see a fluffy friend when you go there.

Boekhandel Dominicanen (Polare Maastricht) in Maastricht, The Netherlands

I actually only live about an hour away from this  bookshop so I could very easily get here. The book shop itself isn't spectacular, especially not for English readers, but the building itself is gorgeous. The church is a Medieval Dominican church that has been converted into a bookshop and the beautiful, swooping arches are enough to distract anyone form the books.

Shakespeare and Company in Paris, France

Arguably the most famous bookshop in Paris, I've always dreamt of visiting this bookshop. It looks like the definition of organised chaos, utterly beautiful but also frantic. One day I'm going to live in Paris and spend as much time as possible visiting this bookshop.

Word on the Water in London, England

This bookshop is a lovely 1920s Dutch barge that floats around the Thames all year round. Apparently there is a wood burning stove for the winter months which is a) dangerous b) absolutely adorable. I'll have to hunt it down next time I'm in London and have a look around.


This is the fanciest bookshop I think I have ever seen, with ornate staircases and white...everything. It looks clean, fancy and modern with light pouring in from the ceiling windows that cover the roof. I think I'd be intimidated by how many books are held in this shop.

Livraria Lello in Porto, Portugal

I understand why JKR used this bookshop as inspiration for Harry Potter because it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. It is this fancy place that has beautiful staircases, lots of dark wood everywhere, and ceiling to floor bookshelves.

Admont Abbey Library in Admont, Austria

So technically Admont Abbey Library is not a bookshop, but it is too beautiful to leave off this list. The ceilings are decorated like the Sistine Chapel with the same extravagant, stunning paintings.

Which of these beautiful bookshops have you been to? Which do you want to go to?
Let me know in the comments below!

And until next time, keep reading!

2 comments:

  1. All of these places sound amazing!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/10/top-ten-tuesday-bookstores-ive-visited.html

    ReplyDelete