Saturday, March 11, 2017

The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr

The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr
Release Date: January 12, 2017
Pages: 302
Rating:💜💜💜
Buy itAmazon | Book Depository

Flora has amnesia. She can't remember anything day-to-day: the joke her friend made, the instructions her parents gave her, how old she is.
Then she kisses someone she shouldn't- and the next day she remembers it. 
It's the first time she has remembered anything since she was ten. But the boy is gone.







Don't let my rating stop you from reading the book because I did really like the story. It was a sweet well thought out story which I found easy to become trapped in, and I managed to finish this book in a couple of hours. However there were a few things in the story that annoyed me enough to lower my rating from 5 to 3.

Everything was repeated so much, and I do understand why. However I did get frustrated when I had to read the same line for the hundredth time because it made to book seem to jump around instead of going forward. The writing style also felt quite straight forward, almost as if a child was telling their life story. I guess it could be because Flora thinks she is a ten year old but even the descriptive parts felt simple. For me this took away from the book and made me enjoy it less.

I loved Flora as a character; she is sweet and funny, but also so confused. Every few hours she forgets everything from when she was ten and so has to read notes about what has happened to her. She reminded me of  Lucy from 50 First Dates because every time she found out about her condition Flora managed to stay upbeat and positive. I felt protective over her, wishing that none of the bad that happen to her did. I wish she lived near me so I could be friends with her!

There are several surprises in the book that I didn't see coming and I loved that Emily Barr did surprise me. It kept the story fresh and gripped me. I think if one of the surprises had been taking out I wouldn't have enjoyed. It is the kind of book where you only have ten pages left but hundreds of things to resolve! However Emily Barr managed to wrap everything up in a good, clean ending which I loved.

I’d still recommend this book. It was a lovely read and I’m glad I picked it up. Give it a try because you may love it!









No comments:

Post a Comment