Thursday, August 3, 2017

July Book Haul!

Every time I go to England I manage to come back with huge amounts of books. Even though I was only book shopping for one day I managed to collect 14 books, although I mainly looked for series I was collecting instead of new books.

Somehow I ended up gathering 19 books this month from various different places, so I'll just get on and share them with you.



Honey and Clover: Volume 1 by Chica Umino

Takamoto, a sophomore art student in Tokyo, thinks his greatest worries in life are finding ways to eat more meat and getting to class on time. But with friends like his, life is never going to be that tame.

This is my first manga  I've ever read and I loved it. I actually brought and read this in the same day because I was so interested by it. I can't wait to read the rest of this series.




Frozen in time by Ali Sparkes

Ben and Rachel Corder are sure they're in for the longest, dullest summer ever, until they discover an underground vault at the bottom of their garden with an amazing secret inside - two children from the 1950s who have been asleep for decades. Why would their father leave them frozen? How is cryonic suspension even possible? And why does it feel like they're all suddenly being followed?

I read this book about 6 years ago (I think!) and I loved it. When I found it super cheap in England I had to pick it up because I've been wanting to re-read it forever.





Crooks Tour by Jane Shaw

Teenagers Fay and Julie have a hard time keeping up with their friend Ricky on a school trip to Switzerland and Paris, as she scrutinises everyone they meet with the suspicious eye of a detective—and comes up with some wild theories regarding their activities. 

I've only read one Jane Shaw book but I loved it and ever since then I've really wanted to read another one. Her writing style is very similar to Enid Blyton's, who I love, so I think I'll fly through this book.





Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighbourhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

I recently read Anna and the French Kiss which I had some...opinions about. However I'm a sucker for pretty covers and considering this book  follows a different set of characters I feel like I might enjoy this book more.



Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart. 

When I found this for £1.50 I had to buy this book. No I haven't read Lola, yes I had negative opinions about Anna but I love pretty covers and cheap books so....Sorry!



The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Alyss is destined to become Queen of Wonderland until her parents are murdered when she must flee to safety in our world.
Years pass.
Now it is time to return.

I remeber being told to read this book ages ago but I never bothered to pick it up. However now that I own a copy of it I think I'll be more motivated to finally force myself to read it, which is why I also bought...





Seeing Redd also by Frank Beddor

This is the sequel to The Looking Glass Wars, so I won't leave the synopsis here, in case you haven't read the first one. I saw both of these books sitting in a charity shop together and I assumed that I was going to love the first book. 

It also means that I'll be able to binge-read this series, although I'll have to find the third book somewhere!







Arsenic for Tea by Robin Stevens

Schoolgirl detectives Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are at Daisy's home, Fallingford, for the holidays. Daisy's glamorous mother is throwing a tea party for Daisy's birthday, and the whole family is invited, from eccentric Aunt Saskia to dashing Uncle Felix. But it soon becomes clear that this party isn't really about Daisy at all. Naturally, Daisy is furious.
Then one of their party falls seriously, mysteriously ill—and everything points to poison.

I've already read this book but I love this series so I don't mind buying them. Also the cover adds so much colour to my bookshelf!




Josie Under Fire by Ann Turnbull

1941. London is suffering from the Blitz and the country is gripped by patriotic fervour. Josie finds it hard to understand her brother's decision to be a conscientious objector. But when she moves to a new school and gets drawn into tormenting one of her classmates, Josie learns what it means to stand up for her own beliefs.

I read this book as a school book when I was 9 and it sparked my interest in history and historical fiction. It is the fifth book in a series of six that are all based in one house and I loved the idea of this house when I was young. Also WW2 is my favourite time in history so this book is perfect for me.





The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Charlie is a wallflower trying to get through the strange world between adolescence and adulthood. First dates, family drama, and new friends. Sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Devastating loss, young love, and life on the fringes. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie must learn to navigate those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

A) I finally bought this book after looking for it after finishing almost 4 years ago.
B)  I managed to find the pretty cover which I adore, instead of the strange yellow/green one.



Fear by Michael Grant

This is the fifth book in the Gone series, one of my favourite series of all time. Luckily I didn't bother collecting this series until the cover changes happened so all my covers display the awesomeness inside.

I'm not going to put a synopsis here because spoilers! However this series is amazing and I think you should go read it right now.






Light by Michael Grant

I also found the sixth (and final) book in this series for only £1.50 so naturally I had to have it. 

I think this is my favourite book of the six because it is an amazing finale to an amazing series. There was no second book slump with this series, and every book was just as amazing as the one before it.







It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once he gets there the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.
Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital and it's there, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

I love the film and didn't even realise that it is a book. However I found it in a charity shop I decided to buy it and give it a try. I finished it in two days and adored it. 



Brother and Sister by Joanna Trollope

Brought up by the same parents, but born to two different mothers, Nathalie and David have grown up as brother and sister, and share a fierce loyalty. Their decision as adults to try to find their birth mothers is no straightforward matter. It affects, acutely and often painfully, their spouses and children, the people they work with, and, most poignantly, the two women who gave them up for adoption all those years ago. 

I actually got this as a mystery book in a charity shop so I had no idea what this book was about. I am pretty intrigued by the story line, but I would never have picked it up if I'd seen this cover!



Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

Do I already own the first book of this series? Yes. Have I read it? No. Did I only buy this series because it was £3.30? Maybe...



Dear Charlie by N.D. Gomes

At sixteen, Sam Macmillan is supposed to be thinking about girls, homework and his upcoming application to music college, not picking up the pieces after the school shooting that his brother Charlie committed.

Yet as Sam desperately tries to hang on to the memories he has of his brother, the media storm surrounding their family threatens to destroy everything. And Sam has to question all he thought he knew about life, death, right and wrong.



This sounds really awesome; the vibe it is giving out is really similar to the book "This is where it ends", which I loved. Hopefully I'll enjoy this book as well.



The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas by Carole Matthews

Christmas is just around the corner but the women of The Chocolate Lovers' Club have more to worry about than present shopping. Can friendship overcome all in The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas.

I didn't realise that this book was part of a series when I bought it but that's fine...

Around Christmas time I love to read Christmas themed romances that don't take too much effort to read so when I saw this book in a charity shop I thought I'd pick it up and give it a try.





Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell

If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does. What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectable Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels.


I don't feel so bad about buying this book because it is tiny (96 pages) and has massive font. I know that I'll be able to read this book super fast whilst enjoying it (I mean Rainbow Rowell and Star Wars is the ultimate combination).



What books did you buy this month? Have you read any of the books I bought? Let me know in the comments below!

And until next time, keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment